23 July 2022
26 August 2022
3 December 2022
Decoding Chronic Disease
Calling all talented and enthusiastic students to gather and provide solutions that will incubate innovative medical innovations and improve the quality of life of Malaysians. Health iPhAMA-thon is aimed at cultivating creativity and innovative ideas among youths, who will one day be the ‘movers and shakers’ of the country. As Malaysia is moving towards becoming an ageing society by the year 2030, we need to put in place future-proof solutions for health and well-being beyond the curative realm, encompassing the entire continuum of care, which includes predictive, preventive, promotive, rehabilitative and palliative care. Do you have what it takes? Join now to bring your ideas to the fore!
Goals & Objective
- Provide a platform for the youth of today to interact with industry leaders and policy makers.
- Collectively discover new innovative ideas or solutions to health.
- Create awareness of significance of youth participation in future health planning and development.
- Impart critical thinking and ideation among participants.
- Cultivate essential skills such as coaching, leadership, communication and self-improvement.
- Participating universities receive a plaque
- All participants receive a Certificate of Participation
Three Stages in Health iPhAMA-thon 2022
Group formation & registration
- Follow PhAMA website (www.phama.org.my) page to find out more information related to Health iPhAMA-thon 2022.
- Each team should have a maximum of 4 members – An ideal team would have members from diverse domains like designing, frontend development, business management, etc.
- Register at:
Deadline: 26 August 2022.
Note: Please double-check the contact information (email and phone number) before submitting the registration form.
Training session & announcement
10 & 11 September 2022
- Participants will require to attend 2 workshops to get training from experts in the field.
- The official schedule of the workshops will be emailed to each team.
- Participants start to develop their ideas within a team.
- Teams submit their ideas through the official portal latest by 28 August 2022.
Official contest period
12 September to 12 October 2022
- Teams will receive the result of the top 10 qualifying teams to present on the final day by 24 October 2022.
- Teams will begin coding and prepare for the presentation.
- The final round – Pitching – 5 November 2022.
- Teams will present prototypes and ideas.
- The judges will evaluate and announce the final result of 3 winning teams.
Skills needed to participate in Health iPhAMA-thon 2022
To have the strongest team, the members in your team should have these skills: design, coding, confidence to present in English and basic knowledge about healthcare. Ideally, a team should consist of members with diverse skills and knowledge to support one another. You don’t have to be a pro in coding; however, your concept should be robust enough to exhibit features such as sustainability, economic viability and impact.
Problem statement of Health iPhAMA-thon 2022
- The problem statement is: Decoding Chronic Disease Through Innovation
- Topics explored must be related to NCDs such as improving health outcomes of patients, enhancing population health through health technology, contributing in building healthy communities or using technology to innovate and solve the most pressing health problems in Malaysia.
- Each team will focus on its selected topic throughout the contest period, using research to display a deep understanding of the problem, current solutions and challenges, innovative ways to pivot or address the problem statement from a fresh perspective.
Possible themes include:
- How to encourage early diagnosis of chronic diseases such as cancer
- The use of Behavioural Science to boost health-seeking behaviours
- Tools/apps/devices/programmes to guide nutrition for chronically ill patients
- Tools/apps/devices/programmes that can increase exercise and an active lifestyle
- Building the foundation towards an ageing society
- Tools/apps/devices/programmes that can help people with disabilities
- Navigation tools to help patients and caregivers
Language of the competition
100% in English